Mechanical Design Engineer
A world class manufacturer and supplier of steel making technology is seeking a Mechanical Design Engineer at their facility located north of Pittsburgh.
- Draft and prepare drawings using AutoCAD, Mechanical Desktop, INVENTOR, and manual (on paper) drafting techniques.
- Prepare and design drawings from concept sketches and marked-up drawings.
- Create concept sketches from site visits or customer meetings.
- Support Technical Sales Department including estimates, installations, field work, and other general technical support.
- Manage engineering projects from drawing initiation through manufacture.
- Provide commissioning support on first fill engineered solutions.
- Provide field engineering support for troubleshooting and site studies.
- Provide technical support for production.
- Assist with design support related to alliance partner products.
- Check and back-check drawings.
- Maintain Engineering Department electronic and paper drawing files.
- Revise marked-up drawings.
- Create copies of drawings using Company copiers or PDF writer software.
- Have extensive knowledge and responsibility for setting up BOMs, routings, and part numbers in the computer ERP system.
- Assist in creating, entering, and maintaining all required ISO-related Engineering Department documentation.
- Attend seminars and continuing education classes, and review technical publications to keep abreast in the state of the art.
- Follow and comply with all corporate and Engineering Department guidelines, procedures, and rules.
- Associates or Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical or Design or related field along with a minimum of 5 years of related engineering, drafting / design experience.
- Design experience inside the steel industry is required
- TIG, MIG, SMAW, and Flux-Core welding fundamentals training
- Metal machining and Machine Shop measurement system fundamentals training
- Training in the use of Microsoft Excel, Word, and ERP software skills.
- Technical drawing and documentation reading and writing skills training
- ISO quality control system training
- EAF / BOF Process Experience is a Plus
- Proficiency in using AutoCAD Mechanical Desktop and INVENTOR software to prepare drawings
- Proficiency in using manual drafting tools to revise and prepare drawings
- Ability to transform concept sketches and other supplied information into working drawings using AutoCAD software
- Ability to use Solid Edge software to create 3-D models.
- Ability to communicate effectively with all Engineering Department and Plant personnel.
- Ability to work in teams both inside and outside of the Engineering Dept.
- Technical drawing and documentation viewing, reading, writing, and printing skills.
- Basic understanding of TIG, MIG, SMAW, and Flux-Core welding techniques.
- Basic understanding of metal machining and Machine Shop measurement systems (example: micrometers)
- Basic understanding of metal foundry operations and procedures.
- Understanding of ISO quality control system procedures and requirements.
- Ability to use Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, and ERP Software.
- Ability to communicate directly with customers and vendors.
- Some travel required, approximately 5-10%.